Portlebay Lemon Sherbet Popcorn


Recently Tesco started stocking Portlebay's range of popcorn, which includes some very unusual and quirky flavours...amongst them Cappuccino, Bacon & Maple Syrup, and Lemon Sherbet, based on those famous British sweets many of us used to rot our teeth on as kids!

Unfortunately I missed the special offer Tesco were doing for these when they were just £1 so I had to pay full price, so I chose what I thought was the most interesting flavour (in hindsight I wish I'd chosen Cappuccino). The packaging was very eye-catching and the thought of sweet lemony fizzy popcorn had me excited!


Unfortunately I found it to be a bit of a letdown. The lemon sherbet flavour tasted weird with the popcorn...it was somewhere between savoury and sour rather than sweet and citrusy...it just tasted wrong and didn't work. I'm not sure if it actually contained salt but I could taste some sort of salty/savoury flavour in there...maybe it was the popcorn, maybe the bicarb to give the sherbet effect. Either way I didn't enjoy this at all and was left with regret for not choosing the Cappuccino flavour instead. I should have listened to my coffee cravings, they never lie!

Overall, this is an interesting novelty but I didn't enjoy the flavour at all. In fact most flavoured popcorn has been a bit lacklustre in my experience. I don't think anything can really beat toffee coated popcorn, although the upcoming "Yogurt Coated" popcorn from Butterkist sure sounds interesting! Not to mention their Easter Hot Cross Buns flavour...watch this space for reviews!

6 out of 10. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles Salted Egg Review

Cadbury Dream Ice Creams - back for Summer! (UK)

Asda Tinned Banana Blossom Review